Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Paramount Pictures just earned my respect

Paramount Pictures has severed its long and profitable relationship with Tom Cruise and his Cruise/Wagner Productions company because his "recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."

"As much as we like him personally," Redstone of Paramount Pictures is quoted as saying, "we thought it was wrong to renew his deal." He then cited Cruise's "recent conduct" as the reason.
In the past year or so, Cruise couch-hopped on Oprah Winfrey's talk show while proclaiming his love for Katie Holmes, criticized the use of antidepressants and claimed that postpartum depression doesn't exist. He also got into an angry exchange with Matt Lauer on the "Today" show while defending his opinions.

I see it coming: Cruise is going to form a partnership with Travolta and call it - Scientology Pictures

Their slogan?

"Movies that heal from within."

Don't get me wrong, I believe in the power of positive thinking, et cetera. However, I don't think that our ability to improve ourselves with strong, mental resolve replaces God.

Hmmm, I wonder if the water-gushing rubber flower had anything to do with this.

2 comments:

Gunny John said...

I'm not sure if there's any one incident that did it; he's just a nutjob and Paramount decided that since everyone knows it, they shouldn't associate his antics with their name. Good on 'em. At least John Revolting tones it down a bit.

Ebyjo said...

I got tired of Tom Cruise right after Top Gun. I can't stand Brad Pitt either and haven't way before he ever married Jennifer Aniston.