Monday, October 13, 2008

High Winds and the Haze of Smoke From Numerous Fires

Today, as I drove around Southern California, the sky was hazy with the smoke of a number of fires. The Santa Ana winds were blowing about 60 miles per hour. On a freeway overpass I saw a big-rig on its side as I drove my own rig beneath on a westbound freeway. It was the third toppled truck I saw.

Fires from Los Angeles County to San Bernardino to Orange County were burning, and with the high winds, fire crews could only focus on trying to protect structures. When the Santa Ana winds reach such high velocities, any hope of containing a fire is lost until the winds die down. The winds are expected to continue to blow fiercely through tomorrow, possibly Wednesday.

The Los Angeles Times has reported that two have died in the fires.

No comments: