Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ed McMahon Instrumental Part of my Childhood Memories

I learned about Ed McMahon's death this morning on the radio as I was driving my big rig to Chatsworth, California. Growing up, the Tonight Show was a big part of my life.

As a kid I was only able to stay up late to watch Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon on Friday nights. During the summer, I watched the show when I could. My biological father was a huge fan of The Tonight Show, and we watched it together when I visited him. Johnny and Ed McMahon was my connection to a father I otherwise had little in common with.

My father died in 1999, and as strange as it seems, I felt a little piece of my father was still around as long as Ed McMahon was still alive and kicking and making people smile. Ed has been battling various health issues, and I realize that we all have to go eventually, but I am deeply saddened to see Ed McMahon pass away. To me, he was the last identifiable figure of The Tonight Show this kid grew up watching, and enjoying, and using as a connection to his father.

I wonder if in the afterlife, as Ed McMahon is walking up to join his old friend, Johnny Carson is saying, "Heeeeere's Ed."

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

By Douglas V. Gibbs

Note: My good friend, Andrea Shea King, interviewed Ed McMahon in November 2007, and wrote about it on Breitbart's Big Hollywood, HERE

No comments: