Sunday, October 31, 2010

Election Day in Murrieta


By Douglas V. Gibbs

As election day approaches the battle in Murrieta for three city council seats remains up in the air. Yours truly, and Alan Long, are the two front-runners of the five challengers, but the question is whether or not we will be able to crack the power of incumbency being enjoyed by the three candidates up for re-election.

I have stood out because of my support for three initiatives (C,D, and E) that are on the ballot that are unpopular with the incumbents and the other candidates. However, the voters, or at least those I have spoken to at events and during my neighborhood door-knocking sessions, are in favor of those initiatives. The people, like myself, believe that though those serving through government office should be compensated, the compensation should not be so high that it is the primary motivation for candidacy.

My campaign has also challenged the incumbents because of my stance on protecting property rights against land seizures by conservancy groups, with the help of the City Council. The Los Alamos Hills area, as well as the Murrieta Calvary Chapel lawsuit against the city, has become a hot issue because of the demand for environmental purposes that these property owners "donate" land for conservation. If they refuse, the property owners are then strong-armed by the Murrieta city government by way of the city refusing to allow the property owners to develop their land. I believe that private property should remain exactly that, private property. Government should never strong-arm property away from citizens.

I have challenged the other candidates at five forums, and an informal mixer at the Senior Center. I have been talking to members of the VFW, Vet Center, and other veteran groups. With the other candidates I have a number of signs around town, in addition to a billboard (above) and an ad by LGPAC for "Yes on C,D, and E" on AM 590 KTIE that mentions me as one of the supporters of the initiatives. My volunteers and I have knocked on doors, handed out flyers, and have attended various rallies and events to get out my name.

Tuesday will be the final moment when we find out if I am a new City Councilman, or not.

Worse case is that I am not elected and I learned a lot. Best case is I will be elected, and will be able to work to turn this city around, and place it back on a fiscally responsible track.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: