Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Dog Named Muhammad


By Douglas V. Gibbs

During a city council discussion regarding the possibility of opening up a dog park, new San Juan Capistrano Councilman Derek Reeve expressed his excitement regarding a dog park for his dogs, America and Muhammad.

One of the audience members so happened to be a Muslim, and he was offended by the fact that Reeve named one of his dogs "Muhammad."

I've known people to do such things. A person I knew named his horse Jesus. An atheist I once knew named his dog "God" so that he could yell at God everyday.

I felt in both cases they were stupid, idiotic, and a whole other host of words. And I suppose I was slightly offended to a point. But that is as far as it went. God is greater than a couple of idiots that just don't want anything to do with Him.

Councilman Reeve, however, is not getting such a reasonable response. The Muslims are a little freakier about that kind of stuff. Hell, these people rioted over Dutch cartoons, for God's sake.

Not-So-Conservative commentator, Bill O'Reilly, even took a shot at the councilman on his pinheads and patriots segment.

Isn't this about free speech?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, with freedom comes responsibility. But are you kidding me? You can't name your dog the same name that is the most popular in Britain?

Oh, that's right, dogs are bad in the eyes of Muslims.

But, wait, the name is appropriate in my opinion, because aside from being a lowlife pedophile, barbarian, liar, murderer, psycho, and megalomaniac, Muhammad was also a dirty dog.

Councilman Reeve seems to be taking this quite well, taking O'Reilly's accusation that he is a pinhead with a dash of laughter.

The Council on Islamic Relations is not going to be forgiving, however. They want an apology, and they want it yesterday. They say Reeve of disrespected the Muslim prophet. So far Reeve has refused.

If I was Reeve, I would answer, with a particular finger held nice and high.

Yes, I don't like it when Christianity is disrespected, but what would it say about Christianity if we went around "forcing" people to treat the religion with whether-you-like-it-or-not respect? Yep, that's right, we'd be something like the fascist, totalitarian Islamists.

Resident Jurgen Schambach thinks there is a free speech discussion in all of this. He named his German Shepherd "Blitz."

"I don't name my dog Jesus because it's my own choice," says Schambach, "but if somebody would like to do that, why not? We should not go to war over that one."

By the way: If the liberal freaks or Muslim freaks shut my site down over this post, it would prove how idiotic hypocritical they are, and I'll be writing over at douglasvgibbs.com from there on out.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

Councilman Under Fire for Naming Dog Muhammad - NBC Los Angeles

No comments: