Saturday, May 31, 2014

Are Bicycle Helmets a Waste of Time?

By Douglas V. Gibbs

I wore no bicycle helmet when I grew up, and I crashed my bike a number of times, and I survived.  For me, however, the laws regarding wearing helmets is not so much about whether or not helmets are safer, but whether or not government should be dictating to us on whether or not we, or our kids, must wear them. . . or suffer the penalty of law.

Government was not instituted for the purpose to protect me against myself.

Here is a bit from the article about Bicycle Helmets:

A leading neurosurgeon has controversially claimed that cyclists who wear helmets are wasting their time.

Henry Marsh, who works at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, London, said that many of his patients who have been involved in bike accidents have been wearing helmets that were ‘too flimsy’ to be beneficial.

He made the comments while speaking at the Hay Festival during a discussion with Ian McEwan, whose latest novel Saturday centre's around a neurosurgeon.

He cited evidence from the University of Bath that suggests that wearing a helmet may even put cyclists at greater risk. The research showed that drivers get around 3 inches closer to cyclists who wear helmets because they perceive them as safer.

He said: “I ride a bike and I never wear a helmet. In the countries where bike helmets are compulsory there has been no reduction in bike injuries whatsoever.

In other words, like usual, liberal left theories are not necessarily correct.  They rarely are.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: